A number of people have asked me "what do you do as a startup CEO" ?
The simple answer is "whatever it takes". A more useful answer will vary from business to business and person to person but for my recent efforts around Asylum Labs, I can divide the work into two categories. Efforts related to the company, and efforts related to our flagship title, Wild Party Bingo.
They roughly break down like this:
- Vision / market position / strategy
- design name / logo
- stock purchase agreements (SPA)
- financial management
- branding (games & tech)
- business development
- attend conferences
- investor relations
- team building
- pitch documentation
- product owner / scrum-master / producer
- social channels (facebook, twitter, etc)
- website (design, creation & Maintenance)
- push notification design
- paid UA strategy
- game design*
- economy design & tuning*
- analytics (design & interpretation)*
- artwork (logo, characters, backgrounds)*
- sound design
- music selection
- UI design (wireframes)
- testing department (survey monkey, testflight, bug database etc.)
- art outsource documents
- Rewards/Earn offers design
- customer support / FAQ / help docs
* indicates work with others on the team.
As you can see, there's a lot of disparate functions happening here. Some of it is inside my 'comfort zone', and some of it is new. I am not the ideal person to be doing many of these tasks but as a start-up we all must wear many hats. Unless you thrive on a challenge, mental diversity and systemic complexity (like I do!) then I don't recommend it. If you DO, then there are few things more rewarding.